February 06, 2014

Three GLORIOUS Days

This past weekend Paul and I boarded a plane and high tailed it to Vegas by ourselves. It was fabulous, awesome, amazing, incredible, and in the end we found out we still love hanging out as just the two of us. We decided on this destination as our first official get away from all seven kids because Paul loves Vegas. It is his happy place. I would rather go somewhere warm and spend 3 days poolside but Vegas is only an hour plane ride away and there are pretty much flights to Sacramento every hour if we needed to get home quickly so it worked for me. Actually you could have sent me to Stockton alone for 3 days and I would have probably enjoyed it just as much. Paul and I needed some alone time and some mornings that did not involve waking up when the kids did. We have not had a single night alone since we had the quads and it was time.




Now you're probably all waiting for me to say how much I missed the kids but I didn't...not at all. You can judge me and say I am a bad mom and I am totally fine with that. The kids were having a blast with grandma, grandpa, auntie & uncle and I was spending time with my husband alone. I loved holding hands, waking up and reading while he was still sleeping, taking an early afternoon nap, and not worrying if a restaurant would have enough high chairs. We got to talk all day long for three days about where we are in life and what our goals are for our family in the years to come. We were able to go out in public and not have to explain how we came to seven kids in four years. And after three days we realized how much we still really enjoy each other.



Paul sent this to the big kids to ask what they recommended for breakfast. Drew said caramel apple and Natalie went for the pink cupcake.
The only down fall of the whole weekend was that it ended way too soon (& that I got Strep for the 3rd time since Christmas but we won't dwell on that). We decided next time we are going for a longer time. Now we just need to convince grandma to get on board with that one! I don't think the kids would mind either because the morning after we got back Drew came into our room and told daddy that he could go back to Vegas if he brought him another Planes towel home. Buddy you give us some time away and we can certainly bring you back a towel if that makes you smile.




We love our kids immensely but after this past weekend I know it is extremely important that Paul and I take the time to reconnect. Our marriage is the glue that is holding our family together and if that hold is not strong we will all suffer. Next time I do get to pick the destination though and I can already see myself lying on the beach in Hawaii!
We thought about Vegas t-shirts but thought they would enjoy pool towels a lot more for being good while mom and dad were away. (Don't mind the two toned wall. We are working on figuring out paint colors.)

8 comments:

  1. You go girl, so glad you and the hubs got to re-connect! One day our kids will grown up & move out and it would be nice to not just love, but still like that guy we live with :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you even imagine the day all of our kids move out Becky? What will we do with the silence? Probably run of to Vegas where it is noisy all the time!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog!! No idea how you do it but you guys are amazing! I have 7 kids, ages 17 months to 12 and I can relate to so many of your posts, even though I can't imagine quads or so many so young at the same time. All your kids are adorable and you seem to be doing an amazing job!! Glad you got some time off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading about our little journey in life. Sometimes I think having 7 kids like I do is easier than 7 kids of different ages. I only have 3 age groups and they are all close enough that they are going through the same phases in life. We are also not running all over with activities. All I do know is that you and I have both been blessed!!

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I'm soooooo happy you got to spend time alone with each other and you totally hit the nail on the head about having a strong, happy marriage means a strong, happy family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fun getaway. The towels are a great idea and your children look like they love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had strep three times since the beginning of December too. I am worried there is something wrong with my immune system or something!?! What have you been doing to treat it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having strep this many times sure gets old! I have been on 2 different antibiotics throughout this and just finished the latest one today. I am going to wait 2 weeks and then go see if I am a carrier. If I am I will have the dr write me a prescription for a longer course of treatment. Hope the strep bug leaves you alone!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...