August 11, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza

A month before my sister's wedding I decided it was time to lose the remaining baby weight that had decided it liked hanging around. It was an unwanted guest and it was time to do something about it. I  had also mentioned to Paul that it might not be a bad thing for him to diet with me. Those energy drinks and soda had caught up to him!

For 10 weeks we cut out all carbohydrates from our diet. I have never missed fruit so much. We also missed some of the other go to meals such as pizza. So when a coworker of mine gave me a recipe for cauliflower crust pizza we decided to give it a try. Oh my gosh it is amazing. I don't think we will ever make pizza any other way from here on out. We now make it at least once a week AFTER the kids go to bed because that means we get the whole thing to our self.

I double the recipe because it is even yummy the next day heated up (again I eat it after the kids have eaten so I get away without sharing for the second time). You start by grating a head of cauliflower. I found sending it through the food processor with the shredding blade saved so much time and mess. Once grated it then gets microwaved until soft which with a whole head takes about 14 minutes. It is then suppose to cool but I don't often have time for this step and it still turns out!

While the cauliflower does its thing I lightly beat two eggs and then mix with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese (that I also shredded in the food processor), 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper. Once the cauliflower is done (and cooled) you mix everything together and spread on a greased pizza pan. Then in the oven it goes. The recipe says  to bake for 10-15 minutes on 425 degrees. I do it for 15-17 minutes with doubling the ingredients which gives it a great golden color.




Then its time to put whatever toppings your tummy is hungry for. Tonight we had white Alfredo sauce (leftover from the kids dinner), fresh mushrooms, pepperoni, grated mozzarella left over from the crust, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella because you can never have too much cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. I love adding fresh basil but we were out so we had to make due without it. After adding your toppings, back in the oven it goes until the cheese has melted or approx 10-15 minutes. Then it is time to eat!!


Just know you will eat more than one slice and you may never want pizza any other way again. Whoever knew having a head of cauliflower on hand would become a must? As far as the diet has gone. Paul is now weighing in at less than what he did when we went off to college. He may even be less than what he was when we started dating at age 16! And for me I am back down to pre-kids weight but boy oh boy does ones body change after having 7 kids.


2 comments:

  1. Krista, this sounds AMAZING! I usually make pizza about once a week- I have gotta try this recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good. I am going to make this, but not tell my family that it is made with cauliflower, if they know that, they will refuse to even try it!

    Mary/Boston

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...