June 01, 2013

Bailey Girl

Today we are hurting. Today we are crying a lot. Today we had to say goodbye to our dog, Bailey. It hurts, worse than I ever thought it would. Our house all of a sudden got too quiet. There are no ticks on the slider door with Bailey wanting in. Our house feels a little less secure without our fierce looking guard dog. How do dogs turn into family members? They are just dogs right??
Our last picture of her from the other night while we were all making smores. She was excited because it meant a graham cracker for her.





We got Bailey in the middle of trying so hard to have a family. We were not having any luck having a baby so we decided we would get a puppy. I never thought I would be a dog owner. I grew up around cats and farm dogs. Give me a cat any day but a dog no way. But we had friends who had a Rottweiler that was the best behaved dog. So I started falling in love with the idea of a dog. But I don't do hair so a Rott was not for us. I feel in love with the boxer breed. Before long we had our tiny little puppy with skin way to big for its body and when it got running too fast would flip over her own body. Bailey went every where with us. She was the BEST dog. 




When w bought the girls home she let them fall easily into our life as long as she got to still go on her beloved walks. Then we added Drew and she was still happy because now there was a boy who liked to wrestle a little rougher. Than we brought home two cats and she was super in love with them because they were someone that she could mommy. Then to throw Bailey one more fast pitch we added four babies at one time and life was good. 




Bailey was a neighborhood dog. Everyone knew who Bailey was because Bailey was happiest sitting outside on the front driveway watching everyone go by. She never left the yard unless a neighbor called her to come play. If we were trying to tell someone from the neighborhood where we lived they would eventually get around to 'oh your the house with the boxer'. The UPS man stops many times a week at our house. Not to leave a package but to give Bailey her treat. I always joked that he needed to take her on a ride along because she matched his truck. 





We all hurt tonight. As Aubrey said 'she was the best first dog'. We all agree. Paul took her for a normal run we do with her last night. It was warm but nothing she hasn't run in before. Nothing and I mean nothing gets Bailey up faster than saying the word 'walk' at our house. Her tail just wags and she can hardly contain herself. She acted this way last night and she was so excited for her bike/run with dad. Paul came back alone and said Bailey went down and could not get up. He took her to the emergency vet and her temp was 107 so they thought heat stroke but they also quickly realized she was blind and soon after she had a seizure. She needed plasma and fluids and lots to stabilize her. At three this morning things were looking better. She regained her vision and her clotting factors were beginning to normalize. This morning she was still showing small signs of improving but was still critical. The big kids and I went to see her and she nuzzled my hand like Bailey does so I knew she knew I was there but she had no tail waggle. I could tell she had some healing to do but the vet was optimistic. I got the call this afternoon that she was not doing well. Her gut took a huge hit and her clotting factors were off the charts again. They felt it was more than heat stroke because she was way too sick for what her temp was. They were thinking brain tumor. Did we want to continue because things were not looking good? She was already turning bluish and they suspected internal bleeding. We asked them to continue what they were doing til we got there and as I was hanging up the dr said she was coding. I was alone with all the kids and had to tell them their dog went to heaven because I couldn't hold myself together. 






I got to the vet and they were doing cpr on her. She had seized again. I asked them to stop and let her go home. And home she went to run endlessly. Oh Bailey I pray you are having the time of your life up there. We will miss you so much. We hope you see the picture Aubrey colored for you. Please, please continue to watch over us as you have for the last 6 years. And keep your tail wagging for me because then I know you are happy!

















9 comments:

  1. what a beautiful tribute to your Bailey. my heart hearts for you and your whole family. i will say a prayer for her and you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Krista. My heart is so sad for you all and my eyes are filled with tears. I am so sorry for your loss. Dogs have a special way of wiggling into our hearts and families. The pain you must be feeling is great. Again I am so sorry.
    - Jamye Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longtime reader- I am so sorry. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, long time reader. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how a dog can become such a part
    of you.
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

    Author unknown...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista, my heart aches for your loss. What a great dog Bailey was, you can tell. There's something about dogs, but I think Boxers especially, that are so human-like. Your family has been in my prayers several times already today. Huge hugs...
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart breaks for you. Tears are rolling down my face after reading this - I felt all these things about my cat, July, who spent 23 years with me and made every single move with me from apartment to apartment and house to house. Pets truly do become members of the family and losing them has a lasting impact. But I have to remind myself how grateful I am for all the wonderful years with those pets and all the happiness they brought into our lives. I adore all these photos of Bailey, especially her with the kids - those are so touching. Lots of love to you all Krista.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Krista! My eyes are welling with tears for you. We too got our Yorkie when we were struggling with fertility. We always said we would NEVER get a Yorkie, but she showed up at the right time and helped us weather hard times. Pets really are family members and it is so hard to say good bye. As Amber B. mentioned, the pictures of her with the family over the years are wonderful. I hope Bailey is running and wagging that tail for you. Bear hugs, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart breaks for your family. We have 2 boxers and they really do become a part of the family. They are great with kids! I hope Bailey is resting and running free, and she sends you a little sign shes happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for the loss of your first born. This is such a tribute to her, and a homage to just how much a part of your family she is. I hope that this time is easy on all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...